Sunday, June 8, 2008

More on Plateaus & Stalls: Reactive Hypoglycemia

Jimmy Moore did a podcast that really hit home with me on his Livin Lavida Low Carb podcast. It was an interview with Doctor Keith Berkowitz and touched on something he has seen in a number of Atkins low carb patients who were very large, lost ALOT of weight, then stalled. Turns out what they were experiencing were symptoms related to Reactive Hypoglycemia

As he read down the list of the many symptoms, I had most of them. Feeling good after not eating breakfast, with high energy, then having an energy crash after eating, and feeling tired. Also, being hungry after eating. I have stalled pretty hard after losing ALOT (about 112 lbs) over a years time. I have been floating just above and below 300 lbs for some time now. Apparently, one of the causes that doing the same old things stops working is this metabolic situation that can develop.

Anyhow, it is interesting as the very things that I have been thinking about doing are some of the very things that the doctor recommends to counteract or deal with this. I have been intrigued by the Body for Life program and have purchased the workbook and book. I have wanted to figure out a low carb version of it. The key to Body for Life is small portions, more often, with very high intensity exercise. One of the points of reference is the palm of your hand. You don't eat a cut of meat larger than the center of your palm - which guides you to portion size in an easy to figure and easy to remember way. If you haven't looked into it, you ought to.

Jimmy got on to this subject when he checked his blood sugar after eating and saw that it actually fell from a pretty normal level to an even lower level after he ate. Which is pretty much the opposite of what you would expect. Pretty cool stuff, just on a science level. Trying to figure out what to do now to get past the stall and the insulin dumping associated with this situation is interesting.

Give it a listen here:
http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/dr-keith-berkowitz-on-the-forgotten-blood-sugar-disorder-hypoglycemia-episode-144/ 

Comments, insight, and helpful advice much appreciated!!

4 comments:

Linda said...

Thanks for posting this. I somehow missed it on Jimmy's blog.

Vikki said...

I agree with wifezilla, and like you I have hit an extended stall. Of course a big part of mine is that I haven't been diligent about logging my food. That will get you every time, or at least me.

I missed everything in the last few weeks due to some renovating going on in my house, so thanks again.
Vikki
vikkiskitchn.spaces.live.com

Anonymous said...

Each of us is different and a balancing process is needed, to reach an
optimum. Diet-Com

RSM Enterprises said...

Sildenafil 100mg Pills fills in as an active part that helps with fixing Erectile Dysfunction in men.