Friday, June 22, 2007

From Far Away to Here, With Oh..., So Long to Go!


I have been at the low carb lifestyle not quite a year now. OK, according to the date calculator (http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html) it has been 233 days, or 5592 hours, or 335,520 minutes, or 20,131,200 seconds so far, to be a little more exact (but still off by some margin of error).

It seems like I ought to have arrived already at some level, and yet at another I know I have probably another couple of years ahead of me just to reach goal, and a bunch of years after that just to be able to say that this isn't some kind of yo-yo thing (diet followed by failing miserably and rapidly and massively regaining the weight lost).

Altogether I am trying to lose about 240 lbs give or take, which is a whole person. A whole entire very large person. Like trying to lose a linebacker or something. (smile).

My wife and I compared pix from September before I started and more recent pix. It is startling in some ways, but also kinda depressing too at the same time. Even tho I have lost ~87 lbs to this point, it hardly looks like it to me. Sure I see my face a little better defined, and my guts are smaller. I know my belt is tighter and I am lighter. But I still sorta look just the same. (sigh).

Anyhow - I am in this for the long long haul. For days and weeks and months and years more, if Lord Willing, I should be fortunate enough to live that long. So this is just a tiny pit stop on the road to where I am going. The road to better health, a fitter me. A higher quality of life. Hopefully here with my wife and my kids, and my friends and those I rub shoulders with in life.

8 comments:

Amy Dungan said...

I see a huge difference! You are doing wonderful. Just keep doing what you are doing and you'll be there before you know it. Look how fast this past year as gone!

PJ said...

Well I see a difference. I think you're doing well, please keep at it! It can only get better if you do. You know, you're gonna be a year older a year from now anyway. You might as well get there in better shape. I know how hard it is... and how demoralizing it can be sometimes. But you're DOING IT and that rocks. That's what matters. Besides, size alone doesn't show health improvements and being able to function better, and in reality, that's what matters most!

Alcinda (Cindy) Moore said...

Wow!!What a difference!!

You're doing great! Keep it up!

Dreamboat said...

You look really different to me! You look great. You've done some amazing hard work and you should congratulate yourself for sticking with it. Don't get depressed! Plus there are probably a lot of other things that have improved besides being a smaller size -- cholesterol, blood pressure, etc. Keep up the good work.

Low Carb Band-It said...

I definately see a difference, but I hear ya!! I've lost almost 80lbs and still look TOTALLY obese. I'd think after so much weight loss I'd look so much better. I have about 50-60lbs to go before I can start looking at Plastics to fix all the sagging skin. Good luck and keep on at it!!

Jennifer said...

Tim, I can tell a huge difference, and I am SO proud that you've managed to lose all that weight and keep it off!! You're an inspiration!!

Jeremy Lowe said...

Jim, You look great and your body is thanking you as well. Keep it up

Unknown said...

78 lbs. is great! Keep it up! :)