Saturday, November 3, 2007

Celebrating One Year Low Carbin' It

An Old Familiar Landmark with a Big Giant One!



Well, it's officially been a year Low Carbin' it!!!!

I started Nov 1st, 2007! YEEEEeeeee Haw!

I have been camped out by the mailbox (like a kid on Christmas morning) awaiting the results of a recent blood test at work. It was part of a health fair and the first I've done since going low carb. I haven't really got a full time doc overseeing my health. More on emergency basis only, as needed. So this was nice to get a bit of a checkup, through work! It was conducted through LifeSigns, and the lab work was done via LabCorp.

The verdict is in. It is certainly better health stats than a year ago! Still not everything I had hoped for. But it is good, and I hope to do better as I lose more weight on low carb, and get into even better health and shape.


Here's my Blood Workup and Health-Check stats:



------------------------------------------------------

BMI: 43 (this one and the next one calculated on one of those hand-grip BF testers)
BF%: 40 (Yes, high. But less than a year ago!)
BP: 142/96 (High, but not as high as before)

--- Blood Test Results ---
Glucose, Serum: 102 (borderline high)

Cholesterol, Total: 209 (borderline high)
Trigycerides: 79
HDL Cholesterol: 52
VLDL Cholesterol: 16
LDL Cholesterol: 141 (borderline high)
LDL/HDL Ratio: 2.7
---------------------------------------------------------

There were lots of other test results - but all thankfully solidly in the normal catagory. The tests they ran for medical geeks out there were (CMP14+LP+CBC/D/Plt) whatever that means. It was testing alot of stuff including kidney and liver function, Lipids, WBC/RBC, Sodium, Potassium, etc., etc.

Also, I took a look at my "Estimate of 10-Year Risk for Coronary Heart Disease Framingham Point Scores" today on the net, while trying to understand the test results. That also turned out pretty OK. You too can try that here:

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/cholesterol/risk_tbl.htm#men

Also, this afternoon the family made a trip to the tiny little library in our small town. The non-fiction (non-kids) books line maybe a half dozen or slightly more rows of shelves, tops.

To my amazement, they had a fresh new hardcover copy of Gary Taubes new book: "Good Calories, Bad Calories" in stock. So I checked that puppy out in a heartbeat. Also a hard cover copy of "Protien Power" and "The Paleo Diet". I can't wait to read them all!! I started today reading the prolouge of Gary Taubes book, and it is awesomely awesome! Man, I'd like to slide back in time and thank these doctors and Mister Banting myself!! What a difference eating and living low carb has made in my life!!!

5 comments:

Amy Dungan said...

Congrats on one year and your better health! :0)

OnlineChristian said...

Thanks!!! :)

Can't believe it's been a year!

Isn't it WONDERFUL??!!!

Alcinda (Cindy) Moore said...

Congrats!! Next year the blood work is going to be even more impressive!!

Gregg said...

Congratulations on taking charge of your health! We hope you were pleased with the services you received from our Lifesigns Onsite team.

In Good Health,
Lifesigns

Anonymous said...

Yes absolutely all the best. Diet-Com