Saturday, December 8, 2007

Flu Shots and Still Sick Anyhow...

The past few weeks we have had various members of our family constantly sick with this head cold, sore throat, fever, chills, coughing, chest cold mess that is going around. I was sortof hoping that this year it would go through the family, and that I would be spared as this year I got the flu shot. It's a first for me. I am not trying to be a big whiney-baby or anything, but my arm hurt for a week afterwards, and I spent the 20 bucks, and now I am waiting for the big payoff. I am *supposed* to not get sick now. :smile: At least that is how it's supposed to work.

Well, the evidently the shot didn't cover this bug as about 2-3 weeks after the cold ravaged a number of family members, I finally fell victim to it as well. ARGH! The first couple of days I felt like death on a cracker, spent a weekend in bed. I missed two days of work this past week on account of it. I braved getting out sick and all (after all, they don't give us 2-4 weeks of sick time) and going to work to see to some important things going on, but wish I could have stayed home through it all with the whole rest and medication route to getting through it.

So if everything holds true to form (based on watching the others in my family) I will surely be sick for another week or more till my body gradually shakes this. I deviated from my low carb norm during all of this, without realizing it. Then I finally did realize it and frankly didn't care. My throat felt so sore from the sore throat I told guys at work it was like gargling razor blades. One fellow enquired if they were safety blades, and I told him that "No, I imagine these are the old fashioned double sided ones". The only cough drops in the house were just about pure sugar and menthol, and I took lots of them for relief without realizing what I was doing. Later, when my weight jumped way up on account of it, I finally realized what I had done. ARGH! Nothing like a little self-sabotage. Oh well, such is life. I continued to take them after I knew it, cause my throat felt so bad and cause I just didn't feel good enough to run to the store. My family members have been sick too and I didn't want to bother them, and I figured I'd just get through this, and get back into low carb and ketosis again. The damage had been pretty well done by this point.

I haven't gone face-down in the donuts or anything, but that is the first real honest to goodness sugary stuff I have had since starting this, I think. I could be wrong, but that is my recollection at the moment. I have stayed away from sugar and refined carbs with a will and a purpose since starting this way of living in November '06.

Anyhow, I am looking forward to getting back on track and getting myself on my way under 300 into the 200's soon. I came close a bit ago, down to 301.6 lbs, then bounced back up again. After eating all the cough drops I saw almost 308 lbs. Now I am back down from that (303 lbs this morning), and hopefully back on track again!

Anyhow, thanks for stopping by and catching up! I appreciate all of my low carb friends out there in Internet land! This is an awesome way of life and has improved my health dramatically. In part, I owe the almost 110 lbs lost so far to all of you, who have informed me, encouraged me, and helped me along the way. I am especially grateful to those who stay at this and share the ups and downs of their lives, and share so much about what works and what doesn't. Keep on keeping on!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know this is a long time ago, but you do know that any increase in your insulin levels will reduce the effective phagocytotic rate? Meaning the more you trigger your insulin levels, the more vulnerable you are to getting more sick due to reduced white cell defenses? The studies for this are all over and proven in medical journals... just look up "insulin" and "Phagocytosis" on google. Also, it apparently doesn't matter if it's refined or whole wheat or fructose...

I'm sorry to hear about your temporary increase (one year ago lol)... when I'm sick with cold or flu I try to stick to water and eggs to keep my fluids, iron, and proteins up. Diluted chicken broth and gatorade if I'm doing really bad. I only have some rice if/when my diarrhea is really bad.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!