Monday, July 9, 2007

Low Carb Super-Heros


I get so encouraged by those folks who have lost lots of weight eating and living low carb. These low carb heros have made tremendous progress in losing many, many pounds, and in many cases even hundreds of pounds. It takes sometimes a year or more, sometimes several years - of consistent effort eating and living on-plan.

I made up my mind not to even start any weight loss plan if there wasn't a hope of long term success with what I was about to do. The last thing I wanted was to rebound and to eventually turn into one of these folks that has the fire department coming to cut him out of his house, to take him to the hospital on a flatbed truck. No, I am not one of those folks who stays at home and has his family running to get him sacks of Major Burgers from the local drive through. I have a job and get off my butt plenty. Still it is not such a reach, having seen person after person diet and then rebound back up OVER where they started. EVERY time.

I kidded my kids about the story I read about a lady who was taken to the hospital after laying on the couch for years and her skin had actually grown into the couch somehow. They had to cut her from the couch, and I believe she later died. Dunno how that happens, but it is gross, and not something I want for me. Is that likely? I don't know. But I told myself there is absolutely NO WAY I was going to start any (diet) lifelong Way of Eating until I knew I could have long term success.

I was so excited about finding the low carb way of eating. At ~410 pounds or so, I couldn't stand for things to get worse (and live). And I needed something that will work and work long term.

Lucky for me I have met and found online many folks that are my low carb heros. They have done this thing. REALLY done this thing! And I am so proud of them, as they give me hope. The first I met was a doctor (the doctorin kind of doctor that actually went to medical school and practices medicine). He had kept it off for ten years!!! WOW! AWESOME!

I then met folks in the low carb forums who have lost a hundred pounds or more and kept it off two or three or more years on an ongoing low carb eating program. THAT IS INSPIRING! That gives me HOPE!

Anyhow, the best part of meeting and getting to know these low carb heros is that they are regular folks with all the flaws and imperfections that regular folks have. They are not all just totally so above average that they could do this (and maybe I can't). They are regular folks. Not to knock them either. They are super people, who stick around and continue to live the low carb life, and continue to share with and encourage others on low carb living (Even after they have met their own personal goals)!
This is especially important as we read in the news of studies and reports that say that it is impossible to lose weight long term, and that show that folks on diets typically rebound. I am not debunking those studies, just acknowledging that most everybody in those surveys are "going on a diet", and then later, "getting off a diet". That will never work! Long term success requires total lifestyle change in more than just lipservice or some temporary adjustments. It really does mean changing how you eat and live long-term!

Tremendous thanks to all the regular folks that have made such awesome progress and shown such a consistent effort over the long haul!
My own personal goal is to lose up to 240 lbs in total. Dunno if I can do it, but I am going to try anyhow! So far I have lost around 90 lbs or so!! In a couple of months I hope to be a hundred pounds down from where I started. It may take me two or even three years (or more) to approach my goals but I am heading in the right direction now and reversing years of bad and unhealthy eating and living. Some day I hope to be able to have lost the weight (as much as I can maintain and be heatlhy and still actually EAT) and kept the weight off long term for at least several years (if not much, much more)!! I hope then to be somebody elses low carb hero and show them just what is possible!
I don't know where you are at at this point in your life. Maybe you need some encouragement too - just to even get started (like me). I encourage you to go online to one of the Low Carb support groups and meet others and get to know some of the Low Carb Heros there. Regular but yet extraordinary folks, who have accomplished great things! And you can too!!!

1 comment:

PJ said...

I agree. I visit the lowcarb forums and some of the people who have lost a lot of weight, even hundreds of pounds (I saw a woman at lowcarbfriends.com forum who'd lost like 350 lbs, last night!) are so incredibly inspiring.

It's a long-term thing. It's terrifying to think of the alternative.