Thursday, September 20, 2007

Sharing the Love and Helping Others


One of the things I think many of us low carbers want to do once we have lost some weight it to share the "secret of our success" with others so they can benefit too. It is really rewarding when folks start to notice your weight loss and ask what you have been doing that has worked for you.

It is also very frustrating to feel so happy about losing some large amounts of weight and to still have few folks notice or appreciate the differences. I am just now really getting folks in my life (at work, church, etc) to notice my weight loss, being down a hundred pounds in less than a years time. It's kindof funny in that so many of them were really seemingly oblivious to the fact I was shrinking over the past year, but are only now being struck by the difference. I assume it is because starting out so heavy, my losses really had to be huge in order to be noticed (as a percentage of my total weight).

Anyhow, now that people are asking - some are asking in sincere interest and some are just critical nosey folks who need to get into your business and share their two cents - I am excited to be able to tell them about low carb diets and Atkins in particular. I still have a tremendous amount of weight to go, but I hope folks will continue to notice and ask.

During the time I have been losing it has really bothered me to see other people that are fat. I want to scream to them "YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE FAT!", "YOU CAN LOSE WEIGHT TOO, JUST LIKE ME!!! IF **I** CAN DO IT, YOU CAN TOO!!!"

I want to tell them how easy it is. Almost effortless. No white-knuckle test of willpower. No futile yo-yo dieting and weight regain. It can last. It doesn't have to be an early death of diabetes and blood sugar problems, heart problems, high blood pressure, poor health, etc.

It doesn't have to be a life of social isolation, frustration, anger, and depression!

You don't have to be resigned to L, then XL, then XXL, then XXXL, then XXXXL (and so on) sized clothes.

Anyhow, it is frustrating to watch others when you just want to say, Did you know? Have you considered? Have you heard? Wouldn't you want all these good things for yourself too???!!!!

I don't want to be a militant cult-like diet fanatic, pushing on others his view of the world. But how to share with so many others, especially when some are starting to remark and ask me what I've been doing?

Well, my wife hit on something really affordable, easy, and something that might let me do some little part to help a few folks, if I can. To share the Joy of William Banting running through the streets of London with his letter on corpulence...

My wife found a consignment store with a book section with a pile of old Atkins books at about a buck a book. I now have something to hand to those who are interested enough to try to understand the low carb way of life. It's cheap, easy, and handy, and something anyone can do. I left a couple in my desk at work. I'll put a couple in the car. It ought to be fun!!

Check your local used book stores and consignment stores for copies and let me know if you too have success with sharing this wonderful way of eating and living. Let's have some fun!!!

5 comments:

Amy Dungan said...

Wonderful idea! I'll have to do this very soon!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading this particular post because you captured very well the overwhelming feeling of peace and accomplishment that is usually the end product of successful weight loss via low carbohydrate dieting. Kudos to you, my friend, for wanting to spread the word via these books you've found--it sounds like you're on a mission from the heart, and I think it's very noble of you. My biggest challenge is not even convincing the people I come into contact with on a daily basis, but rather convincing some of my dearly loved ones that low-carbohydrate dieting is indeed the way to go, not only for resolving overweight, but for the betterment of the associated health issues that usually come hand in hand.
Do you find that to be true as well?
Great post. Keep it up!
Adam;-)

Alcinda (Cindy) Moore said...

Great idea!!

Anonymous said...

Cool Low Carb blog you have, would you mind if i ask you for a link exchange?

Unknown said...

>Anyhow, it is frustrating to watch others when you just want to say, Did you know? Have you considered? Have you heard? Wouldn't you want all these good things for yourself too???!!!!<

They will say they do, but sadly, many of them do not. I've seen it over and over with folks at work who diet time and again, lose a few (or maybe a lot), then stop and gain it back again.

This is IT for me. No turning back or stopping!