Saturday, January 27, 2007

Messin Around with Spreadsheets...

Well, it is something to analyze the data points I have already and to project where I might end up and when. Of course this **is** imperfect science, but it still is something to focus on and hold on to mentally as I face the continuing challenge of working to reach goal weight.

I basically searched my computer and best I can tell, I must have started this weight loss around the beginning of November 2006. I wasn't even sure, except that I knew I must have started after the middle of October. I found some info I downloaded about the Atkins diet on October 28th, and I think I started not too long after that.

Based on this I wonder if I didn't start out at over 400lbs, perhaps 410 or so. I will never know for certain, but based on my current rate of loss and the timeframe - it is possible. Anyhow, at whatever weight I started (and that is all hypothesis, since I didn't have a scale that would weigh me then anyhow, and I was already into my weight loss before I weighed across two mechanical scales at ~370 lbs), I have enough real data from multiple weighings to know what rate I am losing at currently. I had my nice digital scale from 370 lbs on.

If I continue to sustain weight loss at this rate I can postulate an optimistic date that I will hit goal weight (which currently is about 170lbs). This is probably unlikely and a little overly optimistic. Still there are others who have lost similar large amounts of weight in a relatively short timeframe.
Chances are though, it will take me somewhat longer to get there, as the rate of loss is likely to slow as I near goal weight (I would assume). Also, most people encounter a weight loss stall (or several) as they try to lose down to their goal weight. So I generated an estimate based on a more conservate loss of weight overall, that might take this into account. I now have a good series of high and low benchmarks (brackets) to compare myself against and to overlay my actual weights against - and see how my progress is going.

I may also find that I am overly optimistic about my goal weight at some point, and have to move that up to a higher weight at some point - but I am going to try to shoot for it (170 lbs) and see how healthy I look and feel (and am) as I get nearer to it. It is an ambitious goal. I weighed more than that when I graduated High School.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck to you. I hope you have stuck with it. I have eaten a low carb diet for most of the last 7 or 8 years, maintaining my weight at about 30 lbs lower than it was when I started (I am only 5'4, 30 libs makes a big difference in how I look and feel).

My weight fluctuates in a +/- 5 lb range, around what I consider an acceptable average (130 lbs). When I get 5 lbs over, I get strict and push back below the average before slacking off and allowing my body to reestablish its self at 130.

I do believe any successful diet requires a permanent change in eating habits. Getting the weight off and going back to you old habits is a waste of effort. I plan to eat low carb for the rest of my life, but there is no food I am never going to eat again. I take an occasional free day.

During holiday seasons or vacations, I eat whatever I want in moderate amounts. But I always get my self down below my average weight in anticipation. It doesn't take a lot of carbs to make me feel I've had enough anymore and after a day or two days of carb bingeing for the novelty I drop back to moderately low carbs for the rest of the vacation or season.

Afterwards I do a period of 2-3 weeks of very low carbs to drop the 4-6 lbs, I may have gained.

This has worked for me for years, I feel better when I am eating low carbs, have more energy, sleep better, know I look better, have better cholesterol levels. It is right for me.

I pray it worked for you.